First Person Accounts

Stories From Those Who Were There

Allan Winarski's Story

Allan was Chief Administrative Officer for the MD during the May 2011 wildfires.

Saturday afternoon I headed to the MD office after learning of the advance of the Grizzly Ridge Fire. Staff and Council started filtering in as the news spread. The worse conditions became, the more staff arrived. About 98 per cent of our people came to help – and stayed until the end. To a person, they were level-headed, efficient and vital to operations. People played interchangeable roles – anything they could do to help. Making arrangements to evacuate, rounding up gas and buses for people stuck in town, trying to confirm details, dealing with emergent issues. Any of the thousands of things that needed to be done.

During a situation like this, our office becomes the municipal Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), the Town of Slave Lake also runs an EOC, and both groups receive vital information from Sustainable Resource Development (SRD).

We received news of the second fire east of Poplar Lane, and within the hour we began evacuating people from the area. The next morning, we knew there were homes destroyed in Poplar Lane, but it sounded like it was a mop-up situation. Upon touring the area, I was struck by the precise application of the fire retardant that saved certain properties. On Sunday morning we were told the Grizzly Ridge Fire was still burning, and that SRD officials were working to determine a trigger point (a boundary that, if breached by fire, would necessitate evacuation). This point was reached around noon, so we began the process of evacuating residents in the Bayer Road, South Shore and Assineau areas.

A utility worker who was stationed at a road block across from our office came through the door around 4 pm. I'll never forget the look on his face when I asked him who was manning the barricade. He said "The fire's right there…I had to leave". It was at that time I realized we had to leave our office immediately so that our exit wasn't cut off. We made our way to the Slave Lake Emergency Operations Center and our two EOCs merged into one.

Before abandoning the MD office, we informed the Flatbush satellite office that it was now the seat of MD governance as we had effectively become refugees within the Town of Slave Lake. We were at the Slave Lake EOC for about an hour before it too was evacuated. The fire was deep in town and we were cut off on all sides. The realization that we were on our own produced a profound sense of loneliness. We collectively decided that the Northern Lakes College was our best option for our makeshift headquarters. As we left the Slave Lake EOC amid high winds and flying embers, the business district around us was rapidly being consumed.

We set up operations on the second floor of the college as best we could. We received word that a new fire may be headed to Marten Beach, and that another fire was burning near the community of Chisholm. Our initial concerns were to evacuate these communities, and to decide how best to get our residents safely out of the area. We were also connecting with provincial emergency authorities who were trying to coordinate logistics and arrange resources as quickly and efficiently as possible.

A lot happened in the first few days. Things came at us pretty fast and just didn't stop. I cannot begin to express my gratitude and pride in the resourcefulness of the MD employees and elected officials during this catastrophic event. Had we not had the strong working relationship before the fire, things could have easily run off the tracks at multiple points.


Jennifer harper's Story

We did our shopping, came out and put the groceries in the vehicle, as we were sitting there Dale said, “Is that smoke coming from…

Charlie macDonald's Story

Being new meant the town was a place where disorientation flourished, and there were many new faces with a swarm of problems and requests requiring…

Vanessa Houston's Story

With the help of our local peace officer and a few town employees, we were able to set up a temporary holding facility at the…

Rick Mundt's Story

This is an event that I do not want to discuss in detail, however it has been requested for reasons I believe in. I will…

Annette Kay's Story

I was called late Saturday afternoon to come into the MD office to help with fire evacuation calls as there was a fire burning south…

Darren Fulmore's Story

There were a large number of vehicles that had made it into our community but did not have enough fuel to go on. Fortunately a…

Karen Dierker's Story

On May 14th, we were put on a two hour evacuation notice, which we are so grateful for. Because of that notice, we were able…

Jodi Broadhead's Story

The communities in the MD of Lesser Slave River should take a moment to thank and recognize the small town heroes who fought the fires…

Kelly Adelman's Story

On May 14, my husband and I were outside doing some yard work when we saw the first bomber fly over. It was incredibly windy…

Allan Winarski's Story

Saturday afternoon I headed to the MD office after learning of the advance of the Grizzly Ridge Fire. Staff and Council started filtering in as…
MD administration offices are open from Monday to Friday between 8:15am and 4:30pm.
Main Office: Box 722 - 3000, 15th Ave SE, Slave Lake, AB
T:780.849.4888  F:1.866.449.4888
Sub-office: 660061 Range Road 20, Flatbush, AB
T:780.681.3929  F:1.866.681.3929




Regional Issues

Popular Resources